6 Basics of Handicap Showers
Traditional showers have a threshold that needs to be stepped over to enter, and people often use them for years without issue.
When a life event occurs, such as surgery, people realize that the step into the shower creates a barrier to safe showering. When that happens, a shower’s threshold becomes an unexpected obstacle which may cause people to start thinking about converting to a handicap shower.
An accessible shower is a shower that is easily entered by anybody, regardless of their mobility level. Accessible showers are also known as handicap showers, curbless showers, no-step showers, and zero-entry showers.
Shop Popular Categories
Important aspects include…
1. Easy to enter and exit for everyone; from people who can walk easily to those who rely on a wheeled mobility device.
2. Users should be able to access and reach all items within the shower, including:
- water controls
- handheld shower head
- grab bars for balance
3. All items should be easily accessible regardless of whether the user is sitting or standing.
4. A place to rest is important too. Adding a folding shower seat is often the perfect solution. For people who only desire a temporary solution, portable shower seats are often used.
When using a shower seat, it is important to choose one that is large enough for the user, yet still allows room for anyone who might stand while using the shower. Also, check to be sure the weight capacity is sufficient for the largest user.
CLICK to view prices. EZ Able® offers many affordable choices for your needs. Call 877-392-2531 for details. Need help finding the right lift? EZ Able® offers many affordable, safe and reliable choices for your needs. All of our lifts meet tough safety standards.
Curves or Radius Stairways
CLICK TO VIEW Curved Stairlifts for Home or Business
Not all stairways are straight runs. A curved stairlift accommodates stairways were there are turns.
5. A slip-resistant floor. Here at EZ Able®, our showers have grip-ability pre-built into our pre-fabricated showers. When choosing flooring tile, be sure to select one that also has a slip resistance rating. (ANSI A137.1–2012 standard, ceramic tiles selected for level interior spaces expected to be walked upon when wet must have a minimum wet DCOF AcuTest value of 0.42).
6. Easily operable shower controls are important too. Easy shower controls consist of:
- Single hand operation
- An easy water diverter – if using with a separate hand shower head
- Thermostatic control – Sometimes when people age, they lose temperature sensitivity and it becomes important to control the water temperature via methods beyond touch
- Helpful handholds or grab bars to hold onto for balanced support
Don’t Need Roll-in Shower Access?
Check out our Safety Suite Below
24/7 - 365 days a year
Enjoy your home in comfort & safety with an EZ Able® stairlift. Straight & curved stairlifts, interior or exterior for your home or business. Made in USA
Finding the right stairlift isn’t difficult if you understand the basic things to look for in a safe, reliable and dependable stairlift. Learn More Here.
Bruno is a Made in the USA brand of stair lifts. Elitr Stair Lift (400 lbs capacity): The Elite Stair Lift, is Bruno’s heavy duty model which can also be used in commercial settings.